Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adrift in REM

I had a dream Thursday night and I've been meaning to write it down.
Now, I don't dream often -- or, at least, remember them.

Adrift in REM

I was hanging on. Everything was rocking.
Water all around me. And fog.
I held on until my knuckles were white.
I held on until my hands were numb.
Then something pushed my hands off;
It slipped under my fingers and pushed.

I went down.
Pressure.
Darkness all around me.
And I couldn't breath.

I pushed. I kicked. Suddenly, air.
I gasped. Nothing. Only fog.
A small patch of the fog cleared and I grabbed.

But it was different.
The same, but different.

My entire body jumped and I was awake.
And confused. And short of breath. A little scared.

I didn't sleep the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment